[openstack-dev] [horizon] static files handling, bower/

Matthias Runge mrunge at redhat.com
Fri Jan 23 11:02:19 UTC 2015

On 23/01/15 10:31, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2015-01-23 10:11:46 +0100 (+0100), Matthias Runge wrote:
> [...]
>> It would be totally awesome to switch from pip install to using
>> distribution packages for testing purposes. At least for
>> dependencies.
> [...]
>
> While it seems nice on the surface, the unfortunate truth is that
> neither the infra team nor the various package maintainers has the
> excess of manpower needed to be able to near-instantly package new
> requirements and new versions of requirements for the platforms on
> which we run our CI jobs. I fear that the turn-around on getting new
> requirements into projects would go from being on the order of hours
> or days to weeks or even months.
>
> We could work around that by generating our own system packages for
> multiple platforms rather than relying on actual distro packages,

Oh, I still would try to get that enabled from a distro perspective. But
that's something, a distro CI could provide feedback here.

I think providing/updating distro packages is quite comparable to
updating pypi packages. Maintaining an additional set of packages is
just wrong IMO. Nevertheless, that might be required for a transitional
phase.

Matthias