[openstack-dev] [horizon] static files handling, bower/

Matthew Farina matt at mattfarina.com
Thu Jan 22 21:06:55 UTC 2015

Jeremy, thanks for sharing this. I do have a couple more questions and
comments based on this.

When there is an update to our requirements, such as the recent version
increment in the version of angular used, a new package version doesn't
automatically show up as evident from that list. How would that process be
kicked off so we don't end up with a missing dependency? Does that have to
wait for a release cycle?

Many of the xstatic packages are maintained by the OpenStack community.
Just see the list in stackforge (
https://github.com/stackforge/?query=xstatic). Right now we need to update
the xstatic package ourselves and then start using it. It also feels a
little odd to maintain xstatic packages for pypi that we don't consume that
way.

This appears to affect the testing setup as well. When we start to use a
new version of a JavaScript dependency no package will exist for it. I
believe this would mean the testing environment needs to use the
development setup, in the proposal, of bower. IIRC, bower goes out to the
Internet and there isn't a mirror of packages (just a mirror of the
registry). That means we'll loose the ability to run testing installs from
local mirrors for these dependencies. I imagine a solution has been thought
of for this. Can you share any details?

Thanks,