[openstack-dev] [Nova][Neutron] Thoughts on the nova<->neutron interface

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Jan 22 16:09:55 UTC 2015

On 01/22/2015 10:28 AM, Salvatore Orlando wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have attempted several times to start a conversation around the
> interface between nova and neutron and its problems, starting with the
> fact that it's chatter than two Italians arguing about football (*).
> Indeed the first attempt at fixing these problems goes back to the Fall
> 2012 summit [1]. While we probably don't want to introduce yet another
> service to this aim, it might be worth giving another shot at having
> these two project communicate in a decent way. I know that other
> developers are interested in this and are probably even already actively
> working on this topic.
>
> In my opinion it might not be such a bad idea to start this conversation
> at the upcoming nova meetup, if there will be enough interest from the
> participants. I have started the etherpad [2] for discussing issues of
> the current implementation, goals, architecture, and design.
>
> As for timelines, it is very likely already too late for shipping this
> in Kilo, but we're probably still on time for completing this work by
> the "L" release.
>
> Salvatore
>
> (*) being Italian I am entitled to make jokes about Italians without
> offending anyone, I hope.
>
> [1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/grizzly-newtonian
> [2] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-neutron-interface-rework

Interesting stuff. I conceptually like the idea of nova-compute doing
the leg work for sub resources (like the network) as it feels like error
handling is simpler given it's closeness to the actual VMs that are
running.

I also like the idea of considering the RPC interface. What kind of
stability / versioning exists on the Neutron RPC interface?

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net