[openstack-dev] [horizon] static files handling, bower/

david.comay at oracle.com david.comay at oracle.com
Wed Jan 21 08:21:32 UTC 2015

> As for our work and updates, using system-wide packages is an excellent
> solution in this regard, as we get maintenance and updates for free. For
> instance, if there is a security issue in one of the JavaScript
> libraries, we don't need to patch Horizon -- the patch that is prepared
> for that specific library and applied system-wide is sufficient.

But for distributions that package Horizon itself, don't they
effectively need to patch Horizon? Namely, don't they need to install
on their build systems fixed JavaScript distribution packages to
address the security issue and then they need to rebuild Horizon itself
even if there are no Horizon source code changes.

>From a Horizon end-user perspective who relies on the distribution's
packages to get Horizon, they'll get the security fix but it seems
distributors will still need to rebuild and deliver Horizon for every
upstream JavaScript fix whether the files come from XStatic, Bower, or
some other method.