[openstack-dev] Announcing Magnum's First Release

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Wed Jan 21 04:48:53 UTC 2015

Hello,

The Magnum community is pleased to announce the first release of Magnum available now for download from:
https://github.com/stackforge/magnum/releases/tag/m1

Magnum is a Container-as-a-Service (CaaS) system for OpenStack.

Magnum is meant to launch a minimalistic host OS such as Fedora Atomic, CoreOS, or  Ubuntu Snappy.  The OS includes enough tools to launch Docker, Kubernetes, and Flannel.  Once the OS is launched, Magnum configures the OS clusters for multi-tenant users.

Magnum has seven major objects:
	• Bay: A collection of node objects where work is scheduled
	• BayModel: An object stores template information about the bay which is used to create new bays consistently
	• Node: A baremetal or virtual machine where work executes
	• Pod: A collection of containers running on one physical or virtual machine
	• Service: An abstraction which defines a logical set of pods and a policy by which to access them
	• ReplicationController: An abstraction for managing a group of PODs to ensure a specified number of PODs are running
	• Container: A docker container

Magnum also includes a python client available from:
    http://github.com/stackforge/python-magnumclient

To get started with the code, try out the developer oriented documention for using Magnum available here:
    https://github.com/stackforge/magnum/blob/master/doc/source/dev/dev-quickstart.rst

Please contact us on Freenode IRC (#openstack-containers) for any questions during your quick start.

Notes:
	• Multi-tenancy is not yet implemented, but coming soon.
	• Magnum is designed to allow deployment of Containers on any compute form factor, including Bare metal, virtual machines, and nested within containers.
	• Ironic integration is coming soon, using the nova ironic scheduler.
	• Magnum is not limited to only using a uOS, we just don't want to introduce extra dependencies beyond what are usually available there.

For more information on work completed in this milestone check out the blueprints completed:
    https://blueprints.launchpad.net/magnum/milestone-1

Please contribute to Magnum.  Visit our project page on the OpenStack Wiki to find our meeting schedule and project information:
    https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Magnum
    Magnum Repo - https://github.com/stackforge/magnum and git://git.openstack.org/stackforge/magnum

Regards,

Adrian Otto