[openstack-dev] [heat] Remove deprecation properties

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at mirantis.com
Mon Jan 19 02:13:20 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 11:10 PM, Sergey Kraynev <skraynev at mirantis.com>
wrote:

> Steve, Thanks for the feedback.
>
> On 16 January 2015 at 15:09, Steven Hardy <shardy at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 25, 2014 at 01:52:43PM +0400, Sergey Kraynev wrote:
>> >    Hi all.
>> >    In the last time we got on review several patches, which removes old
>> >    deprecation properties [1],A
>> >    and one mine [2].
>> >    The aim is to delete deprecated code and redundant tests. It looks
>> simple,
>> >    but the main problem, which we met, is backward compatibility.
>> >    F.e. user has created resource (FIP) with old property schema, i.e.
>> using
>> >    SUBNET_ID instead of SUBNET. On first look nothing bad will not
>> happen,
>> >    because:
>>
>> FWIW I think it's too soon to remove the Neutron subnet_id/network_id
>> properties, they were only deprecated in Juno [1], and it's evident that
>> users are still using them on icehouse [2]
>>
>> I thought the normal deprecation cycle was at least two releases, but I
>> can't recall where I read that.  Considering the overhead of maintaining
>> these is small, I'd favour leaning towards giving more time for users to
>> update their templates, rather then breaking them via very aggresive
>> removal of deprecated interfaces.
>>

> Honestly I thought, that we use 1 release cycle, but I have not any
> objections to do it after two releases.
> Will  be glad to know what is desired deprecation period.
>

>> I'd suggest some or all of the following:
>>
>> - Add a "planned for removal in $release" to the SupportStatus string
>>   associated with the deprecation, so we can document the planned removal.
>> - Wait for at least two releases between deprecation and removal, and
>>   announce the interfaces which will be removed in the release notes for
>>   the release before removal e.g:
>>     - Deprecated in Juno
>>     - Announce planned removal in Kilo release notes
>>     - Remove in "J"
>

> I like this idea, IMO it will make our deprecation process clear.

>> [2]
>> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack/2015-January/011156.html
>>
>> >    1. handle_delete use resource_id and any changes in property schema
>> does
>> >    not affect other actions.
>> >    2. If user want to use old template, he will get adequate error
>> message,
>> >    that this property is not presented in schema. After that he just
>> should
>> >    switch to new property and update stack using this new property.
>> >    In the same time we have one big issues for shadow dependencies,
>> which is
>> >    actual for neutron resources. The simplest approach will not be
>> worked
>> >    [3], due to old properties was deleted from property_schema.
>> >    Why is it bad ?
>> >    - we will get again all bugs related with such dependencies.
>> >    - how to make sure:A
> [...]

Can't we change the property definition to be a migration function?
- It would not be visible to users (once deprecated)
- On loading the template, it would run the migration function that could
  do a migration.

The question is it even possible to achieve technically? But it would be
nice in
that we could stay compatible for ever.

-Angus