[openstack-dev] [openstack-operators][qa][Rally] Thoughts on removing half of Rally benchmark scenarios

Mikhail Dubov mdubov at mirantis.com
Sun Jan 18 16:18:24 UTC 2015

Hi Boris,

I understand your concern about keeping the number of different benchmark
scenarios in Rally not too big so that users don't get confused. But what I
really like now about benchmark scenario names in Rally is that they are
highly declarative, i.e. you read them and you have a clear idea of what's
going on inside those scenarios. You see "boot_and_delete_server" => you
know that Rally will boot and then delete a server, "boot_server" => only
boot a server.

That's very convenient e.g. when you navigate through Rally report pages:
you see the scenario names in the left panel and you know what to expect
from their results. It seems to me that, if we merge scenarios like
"boot_server"
and "boot_and_delete_server" together, we will lose a bit in clarity.

Besides, as you pointed out, "Nova.boot_server" and
"Nova.boot_and_delete_server"
are used for two different purposes - seems to be indeed a strong reason
for keeping them separated.

Best regards,
Mikhail Dubov

Engineering OPS