[openstack-dev] [magnum][nova][ironic] Magnum Milestone #2 blueprints - request for comments

Steven Dake sdake at redhat.com
Sun Jan 18 00:51:59 UTC 2015

Hi folks and especially Magnum Core,

Magnum Milestone #1 should released early this coming week.  I wanted to
kick off discussions around milestone #2 since Milestone #1 development
is mostly wrapped up.

The milestone #2 blueprints:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/magnum/milestone-2

The overall goal of Milestone #1 was to make Magnum usable for
developers.  The overall goal of Milestone #2 is to make Magnum usable
by operators and their customers.  To do this we are implementing
blueprints like multi-tenant, horizontal-scale, and the introduction of
coreOS in addition to Fedora Atomic as a Container uOS.  We are also
plan to introduce some updates to allow bays to be more scalable.  We
want bays to scale to more nodes manually (short term), as well as
automatically (longer term).  Finally we want to tidy up some of the
nit-picky things about Magnum that none of the core developers really
like at the moment.  One example is the magnum-bay-status blueprint
which will prevent the creation of pods/services/replicationcontrollers
until a bay has completed orchestration via Heat.  Our final significant
blueprint for milestone #2 is the ability to launch our supported uOS on
bare metal using Nova's Ironic plugin and the baremetal flavor.  As
always, we want to improve our unit testing from what is now 70% to ~80%
in the next milestone.

Please have a look at the blueprints and feel free to comment on this
thread or in the blueprints directly.  If you would like to see
different blueprints tackled during milestone #2 that feedback is
welcome, or if you think the core team[1] is on the right track, we
welcome positive kudos too.

If you would like to see what we tackled in Milestone #1, the code
should be tagged and ready to run Tuesday January 20th.  Master should
work well enough now, and the developer quickstart guide is mostly correct.

The Milestone #1 bluerpints are here for comparison sake:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/magnum/milestone-1

Regards,
-steve

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/admin/groups/473,members