[openstack-dev] [nova][gate][stable] How eventlet 0.16.1 broke the gate

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 23:25:07 UTC 2015

We can side step the dependency graphing and ordering issue by looking at
the list of curently installed packages via pip freeze and not installing
dependencies (pip install --no-deps)

After looking into this further here are the known issues:

* Partial capping won't work [0], so we need to pin all dependencies, we
can generate this list per file via "pip install -r" and "pip freeze", but
this doesn't address the issue of apt-get vs pip install. For example in
the stable gate we use suds 0.4.1 but only suds 0.4.0 is available via pip.
* Not all packages are installed in are standard dsvm-tempest env, so using
pip-freeze from that isn't enough
* We need to run this per requirements file and move to using pip install
--no-deps everywhere. As the global-requirements sync wouldn't work the
first time since files don't list all transient dependencies yet.
* We can still break if a package version is removed from pypi
* in pip-freeze we sometimes install versions lower then our minimum
version (python-libvirt!)

[0]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-January/054156.html