[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Empty role - status

Andrew Woodward xarses at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 20:47:29 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 3:11 AM, Andrey Danin <adanin at mirantis.com> wrote:
> Answers inline.
>
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 1:21 AM, Evgeniy L <eli at mirantis.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Empty role is ready [1], thanks to granular deployment feature
>> I didn't have to hardcode some hacks in Astute again.
>>
>> But there are several things which I want to mention/discuss:
>>
>> 1. in the patch you can see the name of the role and its description
>>     I would like to ask you to verify it and provide some other options if
>> you
>>     have any
>> 2. we have a minor problem with the progress bar, we will figure out how
>>     to fix it in Astute with Vladimir S.
>> 3. and the biggest problem is an old bug [2], the bug is Ubuntu specific
>> and it
>>     doesn't allow us to make efficient partitioning schema, e.g. it means
>> that we
>>     cannot allocate root partition for all of the disks (provisioning will
>> fail), the
>>     current workaround is to allocate root partition with minimal size
>>     (about 15G) and leave the rest of the space as is (unallocated). As
>>     far as I can see from the bug it's not so easy to fix the problem,
>> actually
>>     image based provisioning fixes the problem, but it's not an option for
>> the
>>     current release. Maybe you have some other ideas how to fix this
>> problem?
>>
> I would leave it as is - 15 GB. A user or plugin can adjust it for its
> needs.

Seriously? NO the 15G Min / Max 50G "min" for the OS allocation is too
small for a default value and not using the rest of the disk. While
the user may easily change this (by the way, most users don't they
expect better allocations), how do you expect the plugin-dev to deal
with this? The way this seams to push the plugin-dev is to do it
pre-deployment via code. We know already working with the disk
allocation is very painful, why are we pushing them to 'duplicate'
code. We need proper support of dynamically adding roles so they can
re-use our code

Is [2] the correct bug for the ubuntu OS volume issue? It's clearly
talking about small root disk values being wrong for all real
deployments.

I'll try to look for the proper bug w/regards to ubuntu OS, but the
gist is the limitation is that the OS volume can not span multiple
disks. The whole-disk allocator we use for ceph-osd should be proper
to work around this problem in a way.

>> Thanks,

>> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1278964

> --