[openstack-dev] [nova][gate][stable] How eventlet 0.16.1 broke the gate

Nikola Đipanov ndipanov at redhat.com
Thu Jan 15 10:21:31 UTC 2015

On 01/15/2015 10:35 AM, Joe Gordon wrote:

> So how could we have avoided this problem? By capping stable branch
> requirements so we only have to worry about uncapped dependencies on
> master. Capping stable branches has been previous discussed but no
> action has been taken. So going forward I propose we pin all
> requirements, including transitive, on stable branches. This way the
> release of new dependencies cannot automatically break stable branches
> and thus break grenade on master.

This is an absolute must IMHO, including transitive dependencies,
because if they are not capped - they can cause other issues like bring
in additional deps a stable release is not even supposed to have, among
all the usual issues.

The problem as I understand it is that this breaks how we do upgrades
testing in the gate, AKA "the granade job" (all in a single VM, install
everything from pip). IMHO this is broken and needs to be fixed ASAP, if
capping breaks it.

N.