[openstack-dev] Doubts regarding OpenStack Tempest

Steve Martinelli stevemar at ca.ibm.com
Thu Jan 15 05:37:09 UTC 2015

1. There's a process outlined here for debugging tests using testtools,
pdb should work:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/neutron/devref/development.environment.html#debugging

   FWIW, you can also look into using the olso debug helper script, but
looks like tempest doesn't support it ATM:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/oslotest/features.html#debugging-with-oslo-debug-helper

2. To determine which suites that tox -e will run by default, look at
tox.ini:
   https://github.com/openstack/tempest/blob/master/tox.ini#L2

   To determine which tests get run by default look at:
   https://github.com/openstack/tempest/blob/master/.testr.conf

3. Add a new test to a file for starters, or make a new file called
test_foo.py.
   I'm sure there has to be info about it here:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tempest/

4. There is a "read-only" policy for the clients, the tests are all here:

https://github.com/openstack/tempest/tree/master/tempest/cli/simple_read_only
   With way more info here:
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tempest/field_guide/cli.html

Thanks,