[openstack-dev] [glance] Replication on image create

joehuang joehuang at huawei.com
Thu Jan 15 03:01:48 UTC 2015

I also recommend approach #2.

For, approach #1,
1) You have to maintain a state machine if you want to synchronize the image to 3 or more backend.
2) Not always 3 or more backend will be synchronized successfully, unless you make it like a transaction, it's hard to process the synchronization broken, and re-sync.
3) As more and more backend, the transaction will often failed to synchronize the image to all destination.

For approach #2
The image status is required to enhanced to reflect the image availability for each location. And the consumer of the glance api can check to see whether the image is ready for specific location, if not ready, either trigger a synchronization immediately or report failure.

If the image is available only after all backend have been synchronized, the end user experience is good, but you have to wait for all location is ready, and it's not easy to do that: considering the synchronization broken, backend leave and join..... the more backend, the harder is.

Another recommendation is to trigger the synchronization on demand: when the first VM using this image is booted, the image will be synchronized to the proper backend for the new VM. The shortage for this approach is that the first VM booting will last longer than usual, but the process is much more stable.

Best Regards
Chaoyi Huang ( Joe Huang )