[openstack-dev] [tc][python-clients] More freedom for all python clients

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Wed Jan 14 08:55:45 UTC 2015

On 13/01/15 14:31 -0500, Sean Dague wrote:
>On 01/13/2015 02:10 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:

>>> FWIW I don't really agree with this advice. The purpose of
>>> openstack/requirements is to ensure that it's possible to create a
>>> distribution of OpenStack without conflicting version requirements, not
>>> to force every project to use every dependency listed. As such, some
>>> co-ordination around client libraries for related projects seems like it
>>> ought to be an uncontroversial addition. (Obviously it's easy to imagine
>>> potential additions that would legitimately be highly controversial, but
>>> IMHO this isn't one of them.) Saying that we require people to use our
>>> tools to get into the club but that our tools are not going to
>>> accommodate them in any way until they are in sounds a bit too close to
>>> "Go away" to my ears.
>>
>> +1
>
>I think as we grow global-requirements probably needs to be broken up
>into functional lists. What's allowed in base-iass, what's allowed in
>application services, what's allowed in docs, etc, etc.
>
>The complexity of keeping the g-r list actually working goes up sort of
>n^2 as the size of it, because pip doesn't have a real solver. This is a
>barely functional set of plate spinning so "just add everything" misses
>the point that the breaks get more and more difficult to unwind.
>
>If someone is up for stepping up and contributing to breaking up into
>"domains", please do. But I think while this remains a global list we
>really do need to be a bit careful here.

Do we really need a per-domain g-r?

With the upcoming changes in the openstack governance model, I believe
this won't scale even if we break it into per-domain basis. Some
questions that need answeres are:

- Who's going to review the per domain g-r ?

If it's a centralized team, then it won't definitely scale. If it's
the domain team then, what's the real point of having these
requirements?

- How are we going to support the creation and maintnance of these g-r
  in the gate? Are they actually worth it?

While I understand why we have g-r, I really don't think it'll scale
for a broader community as we're envisioning it. With that in mind,
I'd probably recommend to have 1 requirements group for the base-caas
integrated gate and let other projects and groups have their own
requirements. That is, non base-caas projects should get the versions
of their common requirements from g-r so that they won't conflict if
they're installed alongside with any of the base-caas projects. But
other than those base requirements, I'd let non base-caas projects
have what they need (which is pretty much what heat's team has done
with the contrib packages, AFAICT).

I know this opens the doors for version conflicts between the
requirements of non base-caas projects but I think this is a more
welcoming (and non-blocking) way to do things until we've a better
one.

Hope the above makes some sense.... I blame the lack of coffee if it
doesn't,
Flavio