[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Dropping Python-2.6 support

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at mirantis.com
Wed Jan 14 07:32:14 UTC 2015

On 01/13/2015 11:16 PM, Tomasz Napierala wrote:

>> On 13 Jan 2015, at 10:51, Przemyslaw Kaminski <pkaminski at mirantis.com> wrote:
>>
>> For example
>>
>> https://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.9/
>>
>> "All official maintenance for Python 2.6, including security patches,
>> has ended."
>>
>> https://hg.python.org/cpython/raw-file/v2.7.9/Misc/NEWS
>>
>> Especially the SSL stuff is interesting
>>
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue22935
>
> This looks like final word here. We cannot provide software, that has no security support.
>
> Regards,

I can hardly see it as a justification for maintaining yet another
package on our own while Red Hat is supposed to provide backports of
security fixes to python 2.6 until 2020.

I wanted to hear exact use cases of 2.7 features that allow us to
accomplish things easier than it is now with 2.6. As Doug already said,
clients and Oslo libraries will maintain compatibility with 2.6. So what
is the real gain?

Regards,
Bartłomiej