[openstack-dev] [devstack] Devstack plugins and gate testing

Deepak Shetty dpkshetty at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 05:05:54 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 4:54 AM, Ian Wienand <iwienand at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> With [1] merged, we now have people working on creating external
> plugins for devstack.

The devstack plugin concept seems logical and useful to me.

GlusterFS Cinder CI is probably the first one implementing the plugin.
See https://review.openstack.org/#/c/146822/

> I worry about use of arbitrary external locations as plugins for gate
> jobs.  If a plugin is hosted externally (github, bitbucket, etc) we
> are introducing a whole host of problems when it is used as a gate
> job.  Lack of CI testing for proposed changes, uptime of the remote
> end, ability to accept contributions, lack of administrative access
> and consequent ability to recover from bad merges are a few.

+1

One suggestion. The doc for creating a new project at stackforge (
http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/creators.html )
is for a full blown community project, there are few stuff that can be
skipped/ignored for the devstack-plugin case.

Would it be a good idea to take that doc and trim it to have just enuf
details that apply for creating a new devstack-plugin project ?

> I would propose we agree that plugins used for gate testing should be
> hosted in stackforge unless there are very compelling reasons
> otherwise.
>
> To that end, I've proposed [2] as some concrete wording.  If we agree,
> I could add some sort of lint for this to project-config testing.

+1

thanx,
deepak