[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Getting reply back from external DHCP server.

Lucas Alvares Gomes lucasagomes at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 12:04:48 UTC 2015

Hi Peeyush,

Now, the problem is that external DHCP is not able to send confirmation
> of deployment to Ironic server, which results in timeout for the
> instance. I want to know how Ironic is handling external DHCP, do I need
> to make changes other than putting "dhcp_provider=none"?

AFAIUI setting dhcp_provider=none should be enough. Now, I don't know what
DHCP confirmation you're saying - assuming you're using a pxe_* driver -
the deployment of the node happens in 2 phases:

1) Ironic create the PXE configurations for that node, set the boot device,
configure the DHCP server (in you're case it's non-op) and power on the
node.

2) The node will boot the deploy ramdisk, expose the local disk as an iSCSI
device and send it to Ironic[1] (is that the confirmation you're talking
about ?). From there Ironic will write the image onto de disk, notify the
ramdisk that the deployment is completed[2] and we are done.

So we don't expect any confirmation from a DHCP server, can you please
paste the error message you are getting?

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/diskimage-builder/blob/master/elements/deploy-ironic/init.d/80-deploy-ironic#L46-L54

[2]
https://github.com/openstack/ironic/blob/master/ironic/drivers/modules/pxe.py#L478