[openstack-dev] [Heat] Where to keep data about stack breakpoints?

Ryan Brown rybrown at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 15:49:26 UTC 2015

On 01/12/2015 10:29 AM, Tomas Sedovic wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I did a quick proof of concept for a part of the Stack Breakpoint
> spec[1] and I put the "does this resource have a breakpoint" flag into
> the metadata of the resource:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/146123/
>
> I'm not sure where this info really belongs, though. It does sound like
> metadata to me (plus we don't have to change the database schema that
> way), but can we use it for breakpoints etc., too? Or is metadata
> strictly for Heat users and not for engine-specific stuff?

I'd rather not store it in metadata so we don't mix user metadata with
implementation-specific-and-also-subject-to-change runtime metadata. I
think this is a big enough feature to warrant a schema update (and I
can't think of another place I'd want to put the breakpoint info).

> I also had a chat with Steve Hardy and he suggested adding a STOPPED
> state to the stack (this isn't in the spec). While not strictly
> necessary to implement the spec, this would help people figure out that
> the stack has reached a breakpoint instead of just waiting on a resource
> that takes a long time to finish (the heat-engine log and event-list
> still show that a breakpoint was reached but I'd like to have it in
> stack-list and resource-list, too).
>
> It makes more sense to me to call it PAUSED (we're not completely
> stopping the stack creation after all, just pausing it for a bit), I'll
> let Steve explain why that's not the right choice :-).

+1 to PAUSED. To me, STOPPED implies an end state (which a breakpoint is
not).

For sublime end user confusion, we could use BROKEN. ;)

> Tomas
>
> [1]:
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/heat-specs/specs/juno/stack-breakpoint.html

Ryan Brown / Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.