[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Image based provisioning

Alexander Gordeev agordeev at mirantis.com
Mon Jan 12 13:08:30 UTC 2015

Hello,

Andrew, thank you for pointing out all the issues. I left more
detailed comments inlined

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 3:51 AM, Andrew Woodward <xarses at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is a list of the issues I ran into using IBP before the 23rd. 5
> appears to not be merged yet and must be resolved prior to making IBP
> the default as you can't restart a provisioned node.
>
> 1. a full cobbler template is generated for the IBP node, if you
> wanted to re-prov the node, you would have to erase the cobbler
> profile, bootstrap and call the node provision api. If you forced it
> back to netboot (which can be done with installer methods) it loads
> the installer instead of the bootstrap image

Sounds like we have a bug here.

> 2. We need to be careful when considering removing cobbler from fuel,
> its still being used in IBP to manage dnsmasq (dhcp lease for
> fuelweb_admin iface) and bootp/PXE loading profiles

Yes, indeed. We're going to implement our own dnsmasq driven service
for managing all what cobbler performed earlier for us.

> 3. After a time all DNS names for nodes expire (ssh node-1 -> Could
> not resolve hostname) even though they are still in cobbler (cobbler
> system list)

Definitely a bug.

> 4. fuel-agent log is not in logs UI

Again, it's a bug.

> 5. image based nodes won't set up network after first boot
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1398207

The fix is available on the review board. I hope it'll be merged soon

> 6 image based nodes are basically impossible to read network settings
> on unless you know everything about cloud-init

Sorry, i didn't get you. What did you mean?

For image based, only the interface looking to "admin network" will be
set up by cloud-init. All other network configuration will be done
later and without cloud-init.