[openstack-dev] [devstack] noVNC disabled by default?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Jan 9 23:24:49 UTC 2015

On 01/09/2015 06:12 PM, Solly Ross wrote:
> Hi,
> I just noticed that noVNC was disabled by default in devstack (the relevant
> change was
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/140860/).
>
> Now, if I understand correctly (based on the short commit message), the
> rationale is that we don't want devstack to reply on non-OpenStack Git
> repos, so that devstack doesn't fail when some external Git hosting
> service (e.g. GitHub) goes down.

Realistically the policy is more about the fact that we should be using
released (and commonly available) versions of dependent software.
Ideally from packages, but definitely not from git trees. We don't want
to be testing everyone else's bleeding edge, there are lots of edges and
pointy parts in OpenStack as it is.

> This is all fine and dandy (and a decent idea, IMO), but this leaves devstack
> installing a "broken" installation of Horizon by default -- Horizon still
> attempts to show the noVNC console when you go to the "console" tab for an
> instance, which is a bit confusing, initially.  Now, it wasn't particularly
> hard to track not particularly hard to track down *why* this happened (hmm...
> my stackrc seems to be missing "n-novnc" in ENABLED_SERVICES.  Go-go-gadget
> `git blame`), but it strikes me as a bit inconsistent and inconvenient.
>
> Personally, I would like to see noVNC back as a default service, since it
> can be useful when trying to see what your VM is actually doing during
> boot, or if you're having network issues.  Is there anything I can do
> as a noVNC maintainer to help?
>
> We (the noVNC team) do publish releases, and I've been trying to make
> sure that they happen in a more timely fashion.  In the past, it was necessary
> to use Git master to ensure that you got the latest version (there was a
> 2-year gap between 0.4 and 0.5!), but I'm trying to change that.  Currently,
> it would appear that most of the distros are still using the old version (0.4),
> but versions 0.5 and 0.5.1 are up on GitHub as release tarballs (0.5 being a 3
> months old and 0.5.1 having been tagged a couple weeks ago).  I will attempt to
> work with distro maintainers to get the packages updated.  However, in the mean
> time, is there a place would be acceptable to place the releases so that devstack
> can install them?

If you rewrite the noNVC installation in devstack to work from a release
URL that includes the released version on it, I think that would be
sufficient to turn it back on. Again, ideally this should be in distros,
but I think we could work on doing release installs until then,
especially if the install process is crisp.

I am looking at the upstream release tarball right now though, and don't
see and INSTALL instructions in it. So lets see what the devstack patch
would look like to do the install.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague