[openstack-dev] The scope of OpenStack wiki [all]

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Fri Jan 9 17:23:17 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-01-09 at 10:35 +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> One of the issues here is that the wiki also serves as a default
> starting page for "all things not on www.openstack.org" (its main page
> is a list of relevant links). So at the same time we are moving
> authoritative content out of the wiki to more appropriate,
> version-controlled and peer-reviewed sites, we are still relying on the
> wiki as a reference catalog or starting point to find those more
> appropriate sites. That is IMHO what creates the confusion on where the
> authoritative content actually lives.

There is an intention to redesign the Community page
http://www.openstack.org/community/: maybe this can be used as a
starting point for discovery of governance, specs, infra manual,
contributor docs, etc?

The wiki may need a new category for 'stackforge' projects but probably
it makes sense to wait until the new programs.yaml and some tags are
set. Eventually we may match those tags in wiki [[Category:]]...
something for the future.

Between redesigning www/Community and docs/developers(contributors) I'm
quite confident that most personas currently served by the wiki will
have their interests served better elsewhere.

To answer Carol's comment: no content will be pushed out of the wiki
without a proper migration and redirection. We're discussing the "scope"
of the wiki so that we can communicate more clearly what content should
be expected to be in the wiki and what we should plan on putting
elsewhere (since so much redesigning is going on).

> So we also need to revisit how to make navigation between the various
> web properties of OpenStack more seamless and discoverable, so that we
> don't rely on the wiki starting page for that important role.

Indeed. The new www.openstack.org has a better navigation bar, IMHO and
the wiki pages (and mailing list archives and other sites) have been
left behind. It shouldn't be too hard to sync the navigations for the
sites and offer a common to-level path at least.

/stef