[openstack-dev] The scope of OpenStack wiki [all]

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Jan 8 23:53:26 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-01-08 at 12:52 -0800, Sean Roberts wrote:
> Thanks for bringing this up Stef. I have found while introducing
> OpenStack fundamentals in the user groups, what seems logical to us,
> the fully OpenStack immersed, is confusing to newcomers.

Yeah, I'm diving more in the wiki in preparation for a redesign for
docs.openstack.org/developer (which I think should be called
contributor/ in order to avoid collision with developer.openstack.org).
The How_to_contribute page on the wiki is way past its time and needs to
be gutted, too.

> A specific example comes from the How To Contribute wikipage.
> Explaining the corporate CLA and CCLA link was moved to the infra
> manual. It is cleaner presentation of the information for sure. It
> also left the google searchable wiki links hanging. This is the
> primary way most newcomers will look for information.  It wasn't easy
> to find the information once it was brought to my attention it was
> missing. I fixed it up pretty easily after that.

Indeed, this is something I've experienced myself. Moving content
around, changing processes, etc are things we should all be doing with
care allowing time and constant communication across multiple channels
(and taking care of proper http redirects, when possible, to instruct
web spiders, too).

In order to better map the anchors we had on the wiki, I've suggested to
add a subsection to the developer guide in infra-manual:
https://review.openstack.org/145971

so that we can have something more precise for CLA then the general link
http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html#account-setup

I've also moved most of the content from CLA-FAQ into a set of FAQ on
Ask OpenStack, since that site gets lots more hits from search engines:

https://ask.openstack.org/en/questions/scope:all/sort:activity-desc/tags:cla,faq/page:1/

/stef