[openstack-dev] [horizon] packaging problem production build question

Matthew Farina matt at mattfarina.com
Thu Jan 8 22:46:41 UTC 2015

Thanks for humoring me as I ask these questions. I'm just trying to connect
the dots.

How would system packages work in practice? For example, when it comes to
ubuntu lucid (10.04 LTS) there is no system package meeting the jQuery
requirement and for precise (12.04 LTS) you need precise-backports. This is
for the most popular JavaScript library. There is only an angular package
for trusty (14.04 LTS) and the version is older than the horizon minimum.

private-bower would be a nice way to have a private registry. But, bower
packages aren't packages in the same sense as system or pypi packages. If I
understand it correctly, when bower downloads something it doesn't get it
from the registry (bower.io or private-bower). Instead it goes to the
source (e.g., Github) to download the code. private-bower isn't a package
mirror but instead a private registry (of location). How could
private-bower be used to negate network effects if you still need to go out
to the Internet to get the packages?