[openstack-dev] [stable][neutron] minimal dnsmasq version

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Wed Jan 7 14:21:52 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I've found out that dnsmasq < 2.67 does not work properly for IPv6
clients when it comes to MAC address matching (it fails to match, and so
clients get 'no addresses available' response). I've requested version
bump to 2.67 in: https://review.openstack.org/145482

Now, since we've already released Juno with IPv6 DHCP stateful support,
and DHCP agent still has minimal version set to 2.63 there, we have a
dilemma on how to manage it from stable perspective.

Obviously, we should communicate the revealed version dependency to
deployers via next release notes.

Should we also backport the minimal version bump to Juno? This will
result in DHCP agent failing to start in case packagers don't bump
dnsmasq version with the next Juno release. If we don't bump the
version, we may leave deployers uninformed about the fact that their
IPv6 stateful instances won't get any IPv6 address assigned.

An alternative is to add a special check just for Juno that would WARN
administrators instead of failing to start DHCP agent.

Comments?

/Ihar