[openstack-dev] [devstack] devstack plugins

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Jan 5 14:09:41 UTC 2015

Just getting back from break, and looking to finish off the devstack
plugin support (especially as we have a bunch of projects that might
want to use this). The last pre-holiday patch is here:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142805  (the doc for how it works is in
the patch -
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/142805/3/doc/source/plugins.rst,cm for
people that want some background)

There are a few interesting comments on that patch, so maybe an ML
thread will help us get to a final approach.

1) install_plugins - currently is a one way process

Dean correctly points out that install_plugins is currently a one way
process. I actually wonder if we should change that fact and run a 'git
clean -f extras.d' before the install plugins under the principle of
least surprise. This would make removing the enable_plugin actually
remove it from the environment.

2) is_service_enabled for things that aren't OpenStack services?

Overloading ENABLED_SERVICES with things that aren't OpenStack services
is something I'd actually like to avoid. Because other parts of our tool
chain, like grenade, need some understanding of what's an openstack
service and what is not.

Maybe for things like ceph, glusterfs, opendaylight we need some other
array of "features" or something. Honestly I'd really like to get mysql
and rabbitmq out of the service list as well. It confusing things quite
a bit at times.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague