[openstack-dev] [oslo] syslog, oslo-incubator, and Juno

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Feb 26 17:55:57 UTC 2015

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015, at 11:22 AM, John Stanford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m trying to understand the path of a series of issues I’ve been
> interested in for some time.  Hopefully, someone can spend a few minutes
> to educate me on the state of affairs, how/when incubation code might
> make it to the main project.
>
> The bugs in question are:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.log/+bug/1076466
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.log/+bug/1076466> - this is the bug that
> identifies that restarting syslog breaks openstack APIs.  It appears to
> be rooted in an eventlet issue, and the commentary suggests (rightly)
> that a fix should be sought in the eventlet code rather than in oslo.log.
>  Unfortunately, it looks like no such fix is forthcoming.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.log/+bug/1385295
> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo.log/+bug/1385295> - this was a bug
> introduced in Juno that completely broke syslog messaging from Openstack.
>  It has a long series of attempts at resolution and is recently active,
> but to date, has no fix has been accepted.
> Finally, in oslo-incubator, there is an accepted and merged change to
> revert the commit that broke syslog:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/133638/
> <https://review.openstack.org/#/c/133638/>
>
> My questions are:
> Why wasn’t the commit that closes 1385295 by reverting the original
> change submitted against oslo.log?

It may have had to do with timing. If no one was using the library, yet,
we may have decided to make a different set of changes there to support
both behaviors. It looks like that work stalled.

This change looks like it is related:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/136842/ but it doesn't directly address
the issue of logging to /dev/log instead of the daemon.

> Is it possible to make Juno work today with use_syslog=True, or is Juno a
> lost cause in that respect?

Are you asking whether the code already works, or whether patches would
be accepted to make it work?

> How/when does oslo-incubator code get merged to the main oslo codebase?

Typically it does not. The incubator is for code *before* it becomes a
library. After graduation, the incubated version is meant to be deleted.
The log library graduation got stuck on some other work early this
cycle, and so that part of the process was delayed. For more on how the
incubator works, see
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/oslo-specs/specs/policy/incubator.html

> Specifically, when could we expect to see the 133638 commit patched into
> oslo.log?

I don't see a patch submitted to make that change.

Doug