[openstack-dev] [all] Re-evaluating the suitability of the 6 month release cycle

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 14:34:08 UTC 2015

On Thu, 26 Feb 2015, Ed Leafe wrote:

> OpenStack can't be all things to all people. Following the Linux
> analogy, we need a few companies who want to become OpenStack
> distributors, packagers, and supporters, in the manner of RedHat,
> Canonical, etc., are for Linux. As a development project, we need to
> be able to move fluidly, and the release cycle deadlines and freezes
> get in the way of that. As a packager and distributor, the release
> cycle scheduler *helps* immeasurably. We can't be both.

Yes.

The special nature of OpenStack makes the influence of companies
quite strong and has many benefits (e.g. look ma, being paid to do open
source) but it also means that boundaries that are found in other
somewhat similar environments are not as strong.

Elsewhere in the thread there was discussion about the importance of the
release cycle for marketing. Marketing for who and by whom? Surely
marketing is^wought to be in the domain of the people who are making
money selling aggregations of OpenStack?

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent