[openstack-dev] [nova] translations gone wild

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 13:28:04 UTC 2015

I have some experience in i18n for other project (GNOME), so I have
some answers to your questions.

On 02/26/2015 02:18 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> This morning in the nova channel we were trying to get to the
> bottom of the unit tests failing lxsi and gillard in en_GB on some
> string comparisons. Something is breaking down in our i18n null
> fixture for the tests.
>
> However, in trying to track down the route of their messages I ran
> into things like this:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/nova.po#L1410-L1411
>

> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/nova.po#L3481-L3485
>

> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/nova.po#L5790-L5793
>

> https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/nova.po#L3278-L3282
>

> So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that means that when
> running in en_US those log messages are going to get overridden.
> And in many of these cases they are getting overridden to
> completely unrelated messages.

No, those messages are marked as 'fuzzy'. They were filled in by
gettext heuristics, but without a translator to go thru them and
unmark them as 'fuzzy', the translations are not applied.

https://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Fuzzy-Entries.html

> That seems quite dangerous. Is there a reason that en_US locale
> tree exists at all (given that we've treated it as base locale
> historically). It seems like it's existence can only cause issues.

In theory, en_US locale may be used to fix typos without touching the
translatable message (to avoid getting the existing messages in other
languages untranslated). This approach is usually applied when in
message freeze mode, when developers are forbidden to touch the
messages, but translators still want to remove typos for en_US users.

I don't know how this applies to openstack though, since I'm not sure
whether we enforce string freeze here, and whether translators care
about occasional typos in en_US UX.