[openstack-dev] [nova] translations gone wild

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Feb 26 13:18:19 UTC 2015

This morning in the nova channel we were trying to get to the bottom of
the unit tests failing lxsi and gillard in en_GB on some string
comparisons. Something is breaking down in our i18n null fixture for the
tests.

However, in trying to track down the route of their messages I ran into
things like this:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/nova.po#L1410-L1411

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/nova.po#L3481-L3485

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/nova.po#L5790-L5793

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/locale/en_US/LC_MESSAGES/nova.po#L3278-L3282

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that means that when running in
en_US those log messages are going to get overridden. And in many of
these cases they are getting overridden to completely unrelated messages.

That seems quite dangerous. Is there a reason that en_US locale tree
exists at all (given that we've treated it as base locale historically).
It seems like it's existence can only cause issues.

What's the right way to test / checkpoint on this on a regular basis?

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net