[openstack-dev] H302 considered harmful

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Feb 25 22:14:56 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Duncan Thomas's message of 2015-02-25 12:51:35 -0800:
> Clint
>
> This rule is not currently enabled in Cinder. This review fixes up all
> cases and enables it, which is absolutely 100% the right thing to do if we
> decide to implement this rule.
>
> The purpose of this thread is to understand the value of the rule. We
> should either enforce it, or else explicitly decide to ignore it, and
> educate reviewers who manually comment on it.
>
> I lean against the rule, but there are certainly enough comments coming in
> that I'll look and think again, which is a good result for the thread.

Thanks for your thoughts Duncan, they are appreciated.

I believe that what's being missed here is arguing for or against the
rule, or even taking time to try and understand it, is far more costly
than simply following it if it is enabled or ignoring it if it is not
enabled.

I don't think any of us want to be project historians, so we should
just make sure to have a good commit message when we turn it on or off,
and otherwise move forward with the actual development of OpenStack.