[openstack-dev] [all] creating a unified developer reference manual

michael mccune msm at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 21:32:31 UTC 2015

On 02/25/2015 02:54 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> During yesterday’s cross-project meeting [1], we discussed the "Eventlet Best Practices” spec [2] started by bnemec. The discussion of that spec revolved around the question of whether our cross-project specs repository is the right place for this type of document that isn’t a “plan” for a change, and is more a reference guide. Eventually we came around to the idea of creating a cross-project developer guide to hold these sorts of materials.
>
> That leads to two questions, then:
>
> 1. Should we have a unified developer guide for the project?

+1, this sounds like a fantastic idea.

> 2. Where should it live and how should we manage it?

i like the idea of creating a new repository, akin to the other
OpenStack manuals. i think it would be great if there was an easy way
for the individual projects to add their specific recommendations as well.

the main downside i see to creating a new repo/manual/infra is the
project overhead. hopefully there will be enough interest that this
won't be an issue though.

mike