[openstack-dev] [all] Re-evaluating the suitability of the 6 month release cycle

Alex Glikson GLIKSON at il.ibm.com
Wed Feb 25 20:43:52 UTC 2015

Tom Fifield <tom at openstack.org> wrote on 25/02/2015 06:46:13 AM:

> On 24/02/15 19:27, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
> > I'm not familiar with how the translations works, but if they are
> > waiting until the freeze before starting translation work I'd
> > say that is a mistaken approach. Obviously during active dev part
> > of the cycle, some translated strings are in flux, so if translation
> > was taking place in parallel there could be some wasted effort, but
> > I'd expect that to be the minority case. I think the majority of
> > translation work can be done in parallel with dev work and the freeze
> > time just needs to tie up the small remaining bits.
>

> So, two points:
>
> 1) We wouldn't be talking about throwing just a couple of percent of
> their work away.
>
> As an example, even without looking at the introduction of new strings
> or deleting others, you may not be aware that changing a single word in
> a string in the code means that entire string needs to be re-translated.
> Even with the extensive translation memory systems we have making
> suggestions as best they can, we're talking about very, very significant
> amounts of "wasted effort".

How difficult would it be to try quantifying this "wasted effort"? For
example, if someone could write a script that extracts the data for a
histogram showing the amount of strings (e.g., in Nova) that have been
changed/overridden in consequent patches up to 1 week apart, between 1 and
2 weeks apart, and so on up to, say, 52 weeks.

Regards,
Alex