[openstack-dev] client library release versions

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Feb 24 23:25:51 UTC 2015

On 25 February 2015 at 11:18, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> I was hoping to do a sqlalchemy-migrate release this week so I'm interested
> in not screwing that up. :)
>
> The current release is 0.9.4 and there was one change to requirements.txt,
> cee9136, since then, so if I'm reading this correctly the next version for
> sqlalchemy-migrate should really be 0.10.0.

So as its a 0.* project today, the convention we usually follow is to
right-shift the versions: X.Y.Z -> 0.X.Y, because its not stable.

So, a Y change in such a project would give you 0.9.5. And we say this
is ok because only also no-public-API projects should be depending on
it and we're expecting to break the API lots, and need a way to signal
that (an X equivalent) without first committing to a public API....
We're perhaps not following that rule all the well (in
requirements.txt constraints...)

> Regarding public API and 1.x.y, I don't think there is really anything
> holding sqlalchemy-migrate back from that, it's hella old so we should
> probably be 1.0.0 by now.

+1.

-Rob

--