[openstack-dev] [all] Re-evaluating the suitability of the 6 month release cycle

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 14:37:44 UTC 2015

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015, Sean Dague wrote:

> That also provides a very concrete answer to "will people show up".
> Because if they do, and we get this horizontal refactoring happening,
> then we get to the point of being able to change release cadences
> faster. If they don't, we remain with the existing system. Vs changing
> the system and hoping someone is going to run in and backfill the breaks.

Isn't this the way of the world? People only put halon in the
machine room after the fire.

I agree that "people showing up" is a real concern, but I also think
that we shy away too much from the productive energy of stuff
breaking. It's the breakage that shows where stuff isn't good
enough.

[Flavio said]:
> To this I'd also add that bug fixing is way easier when you have
> aligned releases for projects that are expected to be deployed
> together. It's easier to know what the impact of a change/bug is
> throughout the infrastructure.

Can't this be interpreted as an excuse for making software which
does not have a low surface area and a good API?

(Note I'm taking a relatively unrealistic position for sake of
conversation.)

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent