[openstack-dev] [all][oslo] Dealing with database (and messaging ?) connection sharing issues

Mehdi Abaakouk sileht at sileht.net
Tue Feb 24 12:43:02 UTC 2015

Hi,

I just want to notice that we already have encounter this kind of issue
with neutron/oslo.messaging:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-November/051477.html
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-November/051515.html

oslo.messaging have some warning messages and/or recover thing,
depending of the used driver, examples:

https://github.com/openstack/oslo.messaging/blob/master/oslo_messaging/_drivers/protocols/amqp/driver.py#L219
https://github.com/openstack/oslo.messaging/blob/master/oslo_messaging/_drivers/impl_qpid.py#L606

By chance, neutron (and other?) works for two reasons:
* the lazy connection creation, even the process have been forked, most
of the FDs are yet opened.
* for the already opened FDs, new child don't use them even all parents
oslo.messaging stuffs live in new process too.

(expected for the qpid driver that doesn't work with neutron and
multiple worker, because python-qpid creates a global object that cannot
be reseted)

For the history, we have this kind of issue, because the (very) old db
and messaging API was using an unique global object without any lock
system,
then the ProcessLauncher appear, and this kind of issue appears.

I'm in favor of updating the Service.py API to guide the developer to do
the right thing when they want multiple workers.

Cheers,
- ---
Mehdi Abaakouk
mail: sileht at sileht.net