[openstack-dev] [all] Re-evaluating the suitability of the 6 month release cycle

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 10:44:57 UTC 2015

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> I was writing this mail for the past few days, but the nova thread
> today prompted me to finish it off & send it :-)

Thanks for doing this. I think you're probably right that the current
release cycle has many negative impacts on the development process and
deserve at least some critical thinking if not outright changing.

Thanks especially for listing some expected questions (with answers).

One additional question I'd like to see answered in some depth is:
Why have unified release schedules? That is, why should Nova and Glance
or anything else release on the same schedule as any other
OpenStack-related project?

Disentangling the release cycles might lead to stronger encapsulation
of, and stronger contracts between, the projects. It might also lead to
a total mess.

Thanks.
--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent