[openstack-dev] [nova] Outcome of the nova FFE meeting for Kilo

Nikola Đipanov ndipanov at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 08:44:15 UTC 2015

On 02/23/2015 09:45 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
>> Seriously, what is the point of 6-month releases again? We are a
>> free-form open source set of projects, with a lot of intelligent
>> engineers. Why are we stuck using an outdated release model?
>
> I've been wondering this myself for quite a while now. I'm really
> interested to hear what things would look like in a no-release model.
> I'm sure it would be initially met with a lot of resistance, but I think
> that in the end, it makes more sense to move to that sort of model and
> let vendors/deployers more flexibly decide when to roll out new stuff
> based on what has changed and what they value.
>
> --Dan

Another huge +1 for raising this. I really look forward to having this
discussion and hopefully as a result dropping the paperwork to shift our
collective focuses back on the code and users that run it, as they are
what really matters.

On 02/23/2015 10:02 PM, Sean Dague wrote:
> What's the alternative proposed release model?
>
> What's the compatibility story with Glance / Neutron / Cinder in
> whatever that model is?
>
> What's the sliding upgrade window look like?
>
> What's the stable maint story look like? the security fix story?
>
> I get being frustrated with a thing, but there are a lot of
> considerations before redoing the release cycle.

All of these are very good questions, we should definitely start by
acknowledging the problems we are facing, and the fact that slight
iteration on the spec process in the next cycle "may not" be enough to
fix it. This is also known as "stopping digging" :).

As for the way forward part - since I was involved in Nova, we were very
good at choosing one of the proposed approaches at a session or a mail
thread, but not as good at collaboratively doing the research to come up
with an approach that is backed up by a metric of some sort. I'd
personally love to see more of that in Nova, when we try to answer some
of the above questions and more.

But yeah overall - I don't think this is working.

N.