[openstack-dev] [stable][requirements] External dependency caps introduced in 499db6b

Adam Gandelman gandelman.a at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 17:40:47 UTC 2015

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 3:06 AM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> It sounds like you are suggesting we take the tool we use to ensure that
> all of OpenStack is installable together in a unified way, and change
> it's installation so that it doesn't do that any more.
>
> Which I'm fine with.
>
> But if we are doing that we should just whole hog give up on the idea
> that OpenStack can be run all together in a single environment, and just
> double down on the devstack venv work instead.
>
>         -Sean

Not necessarily. There'd be some tweaks to the tooling but we'd still be
doing the same fundamental thing (installing everything openstack together)
except using a strict set of dependencies that we know wont break each
other when that happens.

This would help tremendously with testing around global-requirements, too.
Currently, a local devstack run today likely produces a set dependency
different than what was tested by jenkins on the last change to
global-requirements.  If proposed changes to global-requirements produced a
compiled list of pinned dependencies and tested against that, we'd know
that the next day's devstack runs are still testing against the dependency
chain produced by the last change to GR.