[openstack-dev] [api] [glance] conclusion needed on functional API

Brian Rosmaita brian.rosmaita at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Feb 18 23:37:49 UTC 2015

Thanks for your comment, Miguel.  Your suggestion is indeed very close to the RESTful ideal.

However, I have a question for the entire API-WG.  Our (proposed) mission is "To improve the developer experience of API users by converging the OpenStack API to a consistent and pragmatic RESTful design." [1]  My question is: what is the sense of "pragmatic" in this sentence?  I thought it meant that we advise the designers of OpenStack APIs to adhere to RESTful design as much as possible, but allow them to diverge where appropriate.  The proposed functional call to deactivate an image seems to be an appropriate place to deviate from the ideal.  Creating a task or action object so that the POST request will create a new resource does not seem very pragmatic.  I believe that a necessary component of encouraging OpenStack APIs to be consistent is to allow some pragmatism.

thanks,
brian

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/155911/