[openstack-dev] Pluggable Auth for clients and where should it go

Justin Hammond justin.hammond at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Feb 18 16:52:05 UTC 2015

Just starting this discussion…

This is in reference to https://blueprints.launchpad.net/python-neutronclient/+spec/pluggable-neutronclient-auth

Originally the blueprint was for python-neutronclient only, but pluggable auth is a wide-reaching issue. With OSC/SDK on the horizon (however far), we should probably begin the discussion of how to best do this (if it hasn't been done).

A request: We have an immediate need to add pluggable auth to the python-neutronclient, modeled after python-novaclient's pluggable auth system, to maintain a consistent workflow for our users. After the discussion in the neutron-drivers meeting (http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/neutron_drivers/2015/neutron_drivers.2015-02-18-15.31.log.html) it is clear that python-neutronclient will survive for Kilo +12 months, at least. During that timeframe we'd like to have pluggable auth supported so we can bridge that gap. Beyond that immediate need, we are dedicated to making OSC/SDK the way to go in the future, and will gladly assist in adding said features.

We have a solution for our immediate solution but that may not apply to OSC/SDK. So my questions are:

  *   Would you benefit from pluggable auth?
  *   What are you looking for in auth?
  *   Would you benefit from the python-neutronclient getting nova's auth capabilities?

Thank you for your time!

- Justin (roaet)