[openstack-dev] [Mistral] Changing "expression" delimiters in Mistral DSL

Patrick Hoolboom patrick at stackstorm.com
Wed Feb 18 01:37:39 UTC 2015

 My main concern with the {} delimiters in YAQL is that the curly brace
already has a defined use within YAML.  We most definitely will eventually
run in to parsing errors with whatever delimiter we choose but I don't feel
that it should conflict with the markup language it is directly embedded
in.  It gets quite difficult to, at a glance, identify YAQL expressions.
 <% %> may appear ugly to some but I feel that it works as a clear
delimiter of both the beginning AND the end of the YAQL query. The options
that only escape the beginning look fine in small examples like this but
the workflows that we have written or seen in the wild tend to have some
fairly large expressions.  If the opening and closing delimiters don't
match, it gets quite difficult to read.