[openstack-dev] [nova] Outcome of the nova FFE meeting for Kilo

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 23:34:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 6:18 AM, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> the instance tagging work?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -jay
>>
>> On 02/16/2015 09:44 PM, Michael Still wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we had a meeting this morning to try and work through all the FFE
>>> requests for Nova. The meeting was pretty long -- two hours or so --
>>> and we did in in the nova IRC channel in an attempt to be as open as
>>> possible. The agenda for the meeting was the list of FFE requests at
>>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-nova-ffe-requests
>>>
>>> I recognise that this process is difficult for all, and that it is
>>> frustrating when your FFE request is denied. However, we have tried
>>> very hard to balance distractions from completing priority tasks and
>>> getting as many features into Kilo as possible. I ask for your
>>> patience as we work to finalize the Kilo release.
>>>
>>> That said, here's where we ended up:

>>>      vmware: ephemeral disk support
>>>      API: Keypair support for X509 public key certificates
>>>
>>> We were also presented with a fair few changes which are relatively
>>> trivial (single patch, not very long) and isolated to a small part of
>>> the code base. For those, we've selected the ones with the greatest
>>> benefit. These ones are approved so long as we can get the code merged
>>> before midnight on 20 February 2015 (UTC). The deadline has been
>>> introduced because we really are trying to focus on priority work and
>>> bug fixes for the remainder of the release, so I want to time box the
>>> amount of distraction these patches cause.
>>>
>>> Those approved in this way are:
>>>
>>>      ironic: Pass the capabilities to ironic node instance_info
>>>      libvirt: Nova vif driver plugin for opencontrail
>>>      libvirt: Quiescing filesystems with QEMU guest agent during image
>>> snapshotting
>>>      libvirt: Support vhost user in libvirt vif driver
>>>      libvirt: Support KVM/libvirt on System z (S/390) as a hypervisor
>>> platform
>>>
>>> It should be noted that there was one request which we decided didn't
>>> need a FFE as it isn't feature work. That may proceed:
>>>
>>>      hyperv: unit tests refactoring
>>>
>>> Finally, there were a couple of changes we were uncomfortable merging
>>> this late in the release as we think they need time to "bed down"
>>> before a release we consider stable for a long time. We'd like to see
>>> these merge very early in Liberty:
>>>
>>>      libvirt: use libvirt storage pools
>>>      libvirt: Generic Framework for Securing VNC and SPICE
>>> Proxy-To-Compute-Node Connections
>>>
>>> Thanks again to everyone with their patience with our process, and
>>> helping to make Kilo an excellent Nova release.
>>>
>>> Michael

> There are notes in the etherpad,
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-nova-ffe-requests
>
> but I think we wanted to get cyeoh and Ken'ichi's thoughts on the v2
> and/or v2.1 question about the change, i.e. should it be v2.1 only with
> microversions or if that is going to block it, is it fair to keep out the

So if it can be fully merged by end of week I'm ok with it going into v2
and v2.1. Otherwise I think it needs to wait for microversions. I'd like to
see v2.1 enabled next Monday (I don't want it go in just before a weekend).
And the first microversion change (which is ready to go) a couple of days
after). And we want a bit of an API freeze while that is happening.

Chris