[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Lets keep our community open, lets fight for it

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 16:21:46 UTC 2015

On 17/02/15 10:44 -0500, Doug Hellmann wrote:

>> > This is seriously disturbing.
>> >
>> > If you're one of those core reviewers hanging out on a private channel,
>> > please contact me privately: I'd love to hear from you why we failed as
>> > a community at convincing you that an open channel is the place to be.
>> >
>> > No public shaming, please: education first.
>>
>> I've been thinking about these last few lines a bit, I'm not entirely
>> comfortable with the dynamic this sets up.
>>
>> What primarily concerns me is the issue of community accountability. A
>> core
>> feature of OpenStack's project & individual team governance is the idea
>> of democractic elections, where the individual contributors can vote in
>> people who they think will lead OpenStack in a positive way, or
>> conversely
>> hold leadership to account by voting them out next time. The ability of
>> individuals contributors to exercise this freedom though, relies on the
>> voters being well informed about what is happening in the community.
>>
>> If cases of bad community behaviour, such as use of passwd protected IRC
>> channels, are always primarily dealt with via further private
>> communications,
>> then we are denying the voters the information they need to hold people
>> account. I can understand the desire to avoid publically shaming people
>> right away, because the accusations may be false, or may be arising from
>> simple mis-understanding, but at some point genuine issues like this need
>> to be public. Without this we make it difficult for contributors to make
>> an informed decision at future elections.
>>
>> Right now, this thread has left me wondering whether there are still any
>> projects which are using password protected IRC channels, or whether they
>> have all been deleted, and whether I will be unwittingly voting for
>> people
>> who supported their use in future openstack elections.
>
>I trust Stef, as one of our Community Managers, to investigate and
>report back. Let's give that a little time, and allow for the fact that
>with travel and other things going on it may take a while. I've added it
>to the TC agenda [1] for next week so we can check in to see where
>things stand.
>
>Doug
>
>[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Meetings/TechnicalCommittee#Agenda

Thanks!

FWIW, I'm share Dan's concerns with regards to generating community
awareness on what's considered a violation of openness not being
enough. The issues discussed in this thread have a broader impact than
just openness.

Also, the channel still exists, despite dropping it being so simple:

    /msg chanserv drop #your-super-secret-channel

But even if that drop happens in the next couple of minutes, I'd
really love for us to find a better way to generate more awareness on
these topics. The whole problem goes even beyond that channel existing
now but the fact that it's been around for >1 year.

This thread also meantioned other things that violate our openness.
For instance:

  - Closed phone calls considered the place for making *final*
    decisions
  - Closed planning tools with restricted access. Nothing bad about
    using external tools as far as they remain OPEN.
  - Assuming 1 medium "is the right tool for everything" without
    taking under consideration other aspects of our community (TZ,
    language, etc).

Again, thanks for making this point a priority for the TC as well,
looking forward to the next TC meeting, I'll try to be there.

Cheers,
Flavio