[openstack-dev] [nova] Feature Freeze Exception Request - bp/libvirt-kvm-systemz

Marco Pavone marco.pavone at de.ibm.com
Tue Feb 17 15:05:36 UTC 2015

regarding the following question about this remaining nova FFE patch...

> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/149242/
>
> The question is what is the impact to s390x users without this?  Does
> this make using cinder impossible for zKVM users?
The impact of this patch not beeing merged would be that s390x users could
use cinder only for iSCSI attached volumes. FC-attached volumes could not
be used.
For developers and CI that would be an acceptable restriction, but for real
s390x users/customers this would be a heavy restriction, since FibreChannel
is the default and most important attachment in the enterprise market.

Hope, this helps.

Kind regards,
Marco Pavone

Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote on 16.02.2015 22:10:35:

> From: Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> To: openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org
> Date: 16.02.2015 22:16
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [nova] Feature Freeze Exception Request
> - bp/libvirt-kvm-systemz
>

> On 2/10/2015 4:27 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 09, 2015 at 05:15:26PM +0100, Andreas Maier wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello,
> >> I would like to ask for the following feature freeze exceptions in
Nova.

> >> The patch sets below are all part of this blueprint:
> >> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+project:openstack/nova
> >> +branch:master+topic:bp/libvirt-kvm-systemz,n,z
> >> and affect only the kvm/libvirt driver of Nova.
> >>
> >> The decision for merging these patch sets by exception can be made one
by
> >> one; they are independent of each other.
> >>
> >> 1. https://review.openstack.org/149242 - FCP support
> >>
> >>     Title: libvirt: Adjust Nova to support FCP on System z systems
> >>
> >>     What it does: This patch set enables FCP support for KVM on System
z.

> >>     Impact if we don't get this: FCP attached storage does not work
for KVM
> >>     on System z.
> >>
> >>     Why we need it: We really depend on this particular patch set,
because
> >>     FCP is our most important storage attachment.
> >>
> >>     Additional notes: The code in the libvirt driver that is
> updated by this
> >>     patch set is consistent with corresponding code in the Cinder
driver,
> >>     and it has seen review by the Cinder team.
> >>
> >> 2. https://review.openstack.org/150505 - Console support
> >>
> >>     Title: libvirt: Enable serial_console feature for system z
> >>
> >>     What it does: This patch set enables the backing support in
> Nova for the
> >>     interactive console in Horizon.
> >>
> >>     Impact if we don't get this: Console in Horizon does not work. The
> >>     mitigation for a user would be to use the Log in Horizon (i.e.
with