[openstack-dev] Removal of copyright statements above the Apache 2.0 license header

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 11:05:56 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 11:28:58AM +0100, Christian Berendt wrote:
> Is it safe to remove copyright statements above the Apache 2.0 license
> headers stated in a lot of files?
>
> We recenctly removed all @author tags and added a hacking check to not
> longer add @author tags in the future. Can we do the same for the
> copyright statements above the Apache 2.0 license headers?

In section 4.(c) the LICENSE text says

      (c) You must retain, in the Source form of any Derivative Works
          that You distribute, all copyright, patent, trademark, and
          attribution notices from the Source form of the Work,
          excluding those notices that do not pertain to any part of
          the Derivative Works; and

So based on that, I think it would be a violation to remove any of the
"Copyright <acmeco>" lines in the file header.

Regards,
Daniel