[openstack-dev] [barbican][grenade][tempest][qa][ceilometer] Database Upgrade Testing for Incubated Projects

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Mon Feb 16 14:32:39 UTC 2015

On 02/09/2015 12:17 PM, John Wood wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> (Apologies for the numerous tags, but my question straddles multiple
> areas I believe)
>
> I’m a core developer on the Barbican team and we are interested in
> database upgrade testing via Grenade. In addition to Grenade
> documentation I’ve looked at two blueprints [1][2] the Ceilometer
> project merged in last year, and the CRs created for them. It would
> appear that in order to utilize Grenade testing for Barbican, we would
> need submit CRs to both Grenade (to add an ‘update-barbican’ script) and
> to Tempest (to add Barbican-centric resources to the javeline.py module).
>
> As Barbican is not yet out of incubation, would such Grenade and Tempest
> CRs need to wait until we are out of incubation?  If we do have to wait,
> is anyone aware of an alternative method of such upgrade testing without
> need to submit changes to Grenade and Tempest (similar to the DevStack
> gate hook back to the project)?
>
> [1] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ceilometer-specs/specs/juno/grenade-upgrade-testing.html
> [2] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ceilometer-specs/specs/juno/grenade-resource-survivability.html

Sorry, I missed this thread when initially published. I put out an ML
post on where I think we need to get with Grenade in Liberty -
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-February/056738.html

Realistically I think additional project support needs to be postponed
until we can come up with a more modular upgrade and validation
structure in Grenade, which is probably going to be something for when
Liberty starts up.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague