[openstack-dev] [Fuel] fake threads in tests

Przemyslaw Kaminski pkaminski at mirantis.com
Mon Feb 16 11:54:29 UTC 2015

Hello,

This somehow relates to [1]: in integration tests we have a class
called FakeThread. It is responsible for spawning threads to simulate
asynchronous tasks in fake env. In BaseIntegrationTest class we have a
method called _wait_for_threads that waits for all fake threads to
terminate.

In my understanding what these things actually do is that they just
simulate Astute's responses. I'm thinking if this could be replaced by
a better solution, I just want to start a discussion on the topic.

My suggestion is to get rid of all this stuff and implement a
predictable solution: something along promises or coroutines that
would execute synchronously. With either promises or coroutines we
could simulate tasks responses any way we want without the need to
wait using unpredictable stuff like sleeping, threading and such. No
need for waiting or killing threads. It would hopefully make our tests
easier to debug and get rid of the random errors that are sometimes
getting into our master branch.

P.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/fuel/+bug/1421599