[openstack-dev] [TripleO] stepping down as core reviewer

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Feb 15 21:40:02 UTC 2015

Hi, I've really not been pulling my weight as a core reviewer in
TripleO since late last year when personal issues really threw me for
a while. While those are behind me now, and I had a good break over
the christmas and new year period, I'm sufficiently out of touch with
the current (fantastic) progress being made that I don't feel
comfortable +2'ing anything except the most trivial things.

Now the answer to that is to get stuck back in, page in the current
blueprints and charge ahead - but...

One of the things I found myself reflecting on during my break was the
extreme fragility of the things we were deploying in TripleO - most of
our time is spent fixing fallout from unintended, unexpected
consequences in the system. I think its time to put some effort
directly in on that in a proactive fashion rather than just reacting
to whichever failure du jour is breaking deployments / scale /
performance.

So for the last couple of weeks I've been digging into the Nova
(initially) bugtracker and code with an eye to 'how did we get this
bug in the first place', and refreshing my paranoid
distributed-systems-ops mindset: I'll be writing more about that
separately, but its clear to me that there's enough meat there - both
analysis, discussion, and hopefully execution - that it would be
self-deceptive for me to think I'll be able to meaningfully contribute
to TripleO in the short term.

I'm super excited by Kolla - I think that containers really address
the big set of hurdles we had with image based deployments, and if we
can one-way-or-another get cinder and Ironic running out of
containers, we should have a pretty lovely deployment story. But I
still think helping on the upstream stuff more is more important for
now. We'll see where we're at in a cycle or two :)

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist