[openstack-dev] How to turn tempest CLI tests into python-*client in-tree functional tests

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 19:57:14 UTC 2015

   1.
      A few months back we started the process to remove the tempest CLI
      tests from tempest [0]. Now that we have successfully pulled
novaclient CLI
      tests out of tempest, we have the process sorted out. We now
have a process
      that should be easy to follow for each project, in fact
keystoneclient has
      already begun as well [1].  As stated in [0], the goal is to completely
      remove CLI tests from tempest by the end of the cycle.

      [0]
      http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-October/048089.html
   [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/155543/

      *Steps*

   - Move unit tests from */tests/ to */tests/unit
      -
      http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-novaclient/commit/?id=3561772f8b0cfee746af53fa228375b2ec7dfd9d
   - Add OS_TEST_PATH to testr.conf
      -
      http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-novaclient/commit/?id=f197c64e05596fc59c8318813d4f69a88ac832fc
   - Copy over initial set of CLI tests from tempest/cli/ and add
   functional test tox endpoint. Use standard OpenStack environment variables
   to get keystone auth, so the tests can be run via 'source openrc && tox
   -efunctional'
      -
      http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-novaclient/commit/?id=b89da9be28172319a16bece42f068e2d7f359c67
      - At this point you should be able to run the tests against a cloud
   - Add client-dsvm-functional job definition using a post_test_hook
      -
      http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config/commit/?id=c4093cd6d328a87ea9a2335ac2dd4d09a598bc8e
   - Add post_test_hook for functional tests in the client repo.
      -
      http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-novaclient/commit/?id=d11f960c58c523da7154b3311d6b37ec715392af
      - This patch can be tested out using the non-voting experimental job,
      just leave the comment 'check experimental'
   - Make *client-dsvm-functional job gating for client
      -
      http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/project-config/commit/?id=147f20f5003cfa4f15a372f7d16493c3bb40775b
      - At this point you should have a working gating functional test with
      a few tests.
   - Copy in the rest of the tempest CLI tests
      -
      http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/python-novaclient/commit/?id=27cd393028a103d8d52cf25f035e3a2985572ccb
      - Unlike the first set of tests that were copied this is self gating.
   - Remove tempest CLI tests for your client
      -
      http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/tempest/commit/?id=0bd0adecd13e1285d0e938065280816395dbb415

   1.
   2.