[openstack-dev] [kolla] question about the mount namespace

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Fri Feb 13 15:49:07 UTC 2015

Dan,

One of the technical guys here at Cisco asked me a really good technical question about libvirt upgrades in containers which I was unable to answer.  My suspicion is the linux VM system just sorts it out, but I wanted to get your input.

Assume libvirt version 1 is running in a container.  We kill the container, qemu processes go to the main pid space as detailed in my blog[1] using the —pid=host feature you developed.  Now version #2 of qemu is started during an atomic upgrade (pull, stop, start of the container) to libvirt version 2.  How does the operating system know to keep a copy of version #1 around until the system reboots?

Thanks
-steve

[1] http://sdake.io/2015/01/28/an-atomic-upgrade-process-for-openstack-compute-nodes/